Monday, January 22, 2018

Decor has meaning...


Mixing old with new...wooden brain teaser mixed in with a table center piece. 



Most women find themselves in the clearance section finding little things to put on shelves, trinkets for a table and something to put on a wall. Unfortunately, that means whatever was popular 6 months ago defines what is significant to you. Our decor should reflect meaning and significance. We should be surrounded by small reminders all around of us memories of days gone by, of things we cherish, hobbies, and above all else the things we love. 

Why a dog, teapot, and horseshoes? Sort of a strange collection of items. Yet, they all go together. My grandmother's teapot that reminds me of afternoon teatimes with her. The horseshoe is a brain teaser. You'll find brain teasers throughout our home. My husband is a huge fan. I keep them in fun places where guests would sit. Kitchen table or island, coffee tables and even sometimes in the bathroom. Last is an antique Newfoundland dog nut cracker. I raised Newfies for many years. 


Nate Berkus put it this way in an ABC news article "I think things do matter," he said. "Obviously people are important. They're more important, but things really do matter. They're what we touch every single day. They're what we surround ourselves with." 

And sometimes you just need a few new things that give you a chuckle and tie things together. This little piece of art work gave me a laugh because this is SO ME!



I have yet to read Nate Berkus' book "The Things That Matter".  Next on my Amazon purchase list :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment